Saturday, March 14, 2009

maybe i should take this to maury

at what point should one take responsibility for a child or acknowledge that he/she is his/her? I know this sounds like an odd question, but I ask because I got into an interesting debate with a friend on the topic of reproductive cell donation and how one would feel about the idea that little versions of that person are out there.

in lieu of the recession, I'd been joking around about donating my eggs if things ever got that bad. The other day, I was talking about it with my sister and she had told me some more information on it, like how I'm at my prime age for egg donation or how people look at SAT and IQ scores and shit. I brought all this up with aforementioned friend and at some point in the conversation, he asked if I'd feel weird that little me's were out there. Still in jest, I joked that it wouldn't bother me, but that I'd warn my future kids (if I decide to have any) not to marry any Filipinos because he/she could be a potential half-sibling, but then he said he'd feel weird about it, and naturally, the question of "why?" arose.

I was confused why he'd feel weird about it while he seemed surprised that I wouldn't. To be honest, he almost made it seem like I was being heartless toward whatever child might arise from donating my eggs. He was like, "so, if this child looked you up, found you, and went up to you with questions, you'd tell it, 'what? I just needed money". I know he was joking, but it was still a little harsh. It was interesting because he compared this situation to adopted children. Let me remind you, this child would arise from egg/sperm donation. My argument was, on top of the obvious that I am not/would not be this child's parent and that his/her real parents are the ones who raised him/her regardless of biological relationship, that this situation would be nothing like that of an adopted child.

if I gave up a child for adoption, I conceived this child. It came to life inside me, it grew inside me, I nurtured and took care of it in my body for 9 months, and I birthed it. After going through all of that, it's quite understandable why that child would want to know "why?". However, with organ donation, the egg would be fertilized in a lab, outside of my body. Beyond that point, the point in which some would argue that life begins, it will never have touched my body, grown in my body, fed through my body, or birthed by my body. As an unfertilized egg, there exist nothing but a reproductive cell that would get expelled anyway during the whole ovulation process, and thus, life has not been created, life does not exist. So how can I take responsibility for whatever child could be conceived by an egg I would donate? Aside from the genetic factor, I have nothing tying me to this child. And yes, some would say that that biological aspect defines parenthood, but I believe there's so much more to it than simple genetics. Perhaps I'm being heartless toward this child, but I personally feel like there would be absolutely no maternal connection on my part when I had nothing to do with the point that his/her life was created onward.

anyway, my friend never cared to explain his end of the argument. Perhaps I argued my point well enough to get him thinking? Or perhaps he was lazy? Or perhaps he just agreed to disagree. Whatever he decided, it got me to think about the situation more. I mean, the idea of a child of egg/sperm donation wanting to find the donator never seemed like an issue to me, but then I'm not being understanding. Maybe some people do feel that way? For the most part, I still hold my same beliefs, but I'm always open to other's opinions and hearing their thoughts, so I was just wondering how other people feel about the topic? Where do you stand?

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious--does your friend feel this way about sperm donation? I think it's been reported in the news about children looking up sperm donors, and mothers using the same donor keeping tabs on each other to be aware of their child's half-siblings.

    I think it's interesting how egg ads are always asking you to "give the gift of life" or something sentimental like that, but I've never seen that for sperm ads (actually, I don't think that I've ever seen a sperm ad).

    I'm not bothered so much about donating the egg (though it is more invasive for women, and women do have that whole limited number thing, which I guess I worry about since my fertility is on the decline =P). I am bothered about getting paid for it though, because even if supposedly it's for the time and not for the "value" of your egg, I don't think that's really the case. I haven't figured out all my thoughts on the issue though. I'm also bothered about paying for sperm donations, but I don't know if there is the same kind of premium on "valuable" sperm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fyi, my friend is Chris, haha. And yeah, our debate wasn't really about egg donation vs. sperm donation. He was just saying how he'd feel weird donating sperm because of the idea of his offspring out there in the world, and he related it to giving up a child for adoption, where as, I thought that reproductive cell donation is entirely different from adoption in terms of the psyche of the child. Does that make sense? I'll try to explain it better in person

    ReplyDelete