Thursday, May 20, 2010

if you don't sweat, you're not doing it right

day 1 of the VCR Pact. And by VCR, I mean the Vivian-Carmel-&Rosa Pact: work out 4x a week. Pretty simple and not to rigorous, right? Wrong! God I hadn't realized how out of shape I'd gotten... since the last half of fall quarter, I haven't been able to hit a gym at all. Winter was busy with grad school apps and spring has been a packed schedule of 19 credits and 2 labs.

so finally, I hit the gym today as day 1 of our pact. I started everything out light knowing that it'd been awhile. In fact, I've been wanting to get back into my old running shape, so I restarted the original training program that I did almost 5 years ago that made me into a runner in the first place. And even with a light workout, I was huffin' it! -_-''

I did 20 minutes on the treadmill, 30 minutes on the elliptical, and 8-min abs. And let me reiterate, these were light workouts--as in, I wasn't going that fast or hardcore. I use to run 4.5 miles on the treadmill set to speed 6.5, and that was on an easy day...

I'm really glad I decided to join in on this pact because I've been wanting to get back in shape for awhile now, especially before grad school starts. I hadn't really noticed it until I was talking to Rosa one day, but at one point, running kinda became my identity. I felt off if I didn't run, and now that I haven't been running, I've felt off from a big part of myself. Now that I have a full summer, my main goals will be to work (nothing tough since it'd only be a summer job) and workout. I'm hoping now that I won't have a car, I'll be forced to use my bike more, which will also contribute to my exercise regimen. But ultimately, I'd like to do a 5k sometime before 2011. I never did one when I was in good running shape and I'd always regretted that. I figure, now that I'm trying to get back into the groove of things, now's a good time as any to slowly train myself for a 5k in the meantime. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on trying to work out more. Before I was in such better shape and I didn't even realize it at the time. Strength training was kind of part of my identity (not as much as running was for you, but still), and when I stopped because school and work were getting so busy, I felt so off. Now I'm trying to get back into it. My friends like to go to the gym to do classes, and I'll do that too, but I need to do my strength training as well.

    I need to be good and go to the gym too. Maybe I should start up Couch-to-5K as well.

    ReplyDelete