Sunday, May 30, 2010

hurrah!

I can officially add "crocheting" to my list of special powers! ^_^ Many thanks to Woowork for without him, I may have never gotten in touch with Planet June and thus found a reliable source on left-handed crocheting. I've taken many stabs at trying to learn how to crochet, but with black&white hand-drawn pictures, it's nearly impossible to imagine the instructions and then flip them to make them more lefty-friendly. I've even tried many sources that claim to teach crocheting to left-handers, but they were no good. Planet June, on the other hand, is actually a lefty crocheter with really simple instructions and pictures to aid. I was able to understand her instructions right away and in fact, made my first attempt at amigurumi!

I'm the type of person who whenever I take on something new, I immediately try to jump 10 steps ahead of me. Everything relies on those first moments. If I'm not getting something (organic chemistry) or it's not piquing my interest within 5 seconds (Clay Aiken), I give up and move onto something else. But if I can somehow mathematically wrap my head around something and I feel like I'm progressing toward some sort of understanding, I recklessly ignore how deep the plunge is, and jump right off the edge, figuring I'll find out the subsequent risks along the way

when I picked up my first pair of knitting needles, as soon as I got the basic knit and purl techniques down, I immediately set myself to knit a lace shawl. I ignored the fact that I didn't know any other techniques, gauges, or tension, and went right at it. Of course, this led to many many mistakes and much pleading for help on my thankfully-patient, master-crafts-woman big sister (^_^)

likewise, just yesterday, I was introduced to Planet June's instructions on basic crocheting for lefties. As soon as I saw it, I immediately picked up some cheap yarn and my crochet hook (like I said, I've attempted, and failed many times before! Plus, a crochet hook can come in handy for knitting too). Once I felt like I got the basic chain stitch down, I went right ahead and bugged my sister (again!) for one of her amigurumi toy patterns. This morning, with my chosen pattern in one hand and June's instructions in the other, I went right at it, and by this afternoon, I completed my first ever crocheted amigurumi project, huzzah!

post edit: meet my first ever crocheted project, a burgundy koala! Or as some people like to call her, Baby Gau
mmm, begonias *nom nom nom*
courtesy of Woman's Day

4 comments:

  1. I really wanted to give Baby Gau to my grandma but I was afraid she'd lose it :( But she was very fond of it and both my mom and her commended your handiwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could always make her one if she wants :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. But the point is that she'd lose it even if she had one of her own :( But yeah, I'll give her something of yours at some point. Well, our convo would prob end up like this:

    V: Grandma, do you want this? (hand over knit friend)
    Grandma: It's so cute! (play with it, say cute things about it)
    V: You should have it.
    G: No, YOU should have it... so you can play with it at home.
    V: I don't need it.
    G: Keep it. You should play with it!

    And so fourth...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you for teaching yourself how to crochet! I knew you could do it. =)

    ReplyDelete